Tuesday, 15 September 2009

Our First Readings Assignment(s)

Last week, when we had out first opportunity to sit down together, I talked about our first major reading. It was my hope that by this point I would have secured funding, and have all the copies of "On Writing Well" that we would need to get you reading and discussing. That has happened yet, and rather than waiting for the situation to sort itself out, I have decided to jump right into our next reading, and get you all to work.

If you have already begun reading a copy of "On Writing Well" I would encourage you to finish it, and pass it on to someone else in the group who hasn't read it yet. We will discuss it, but we'll wait until everyone has had a chance to read it. In the meantime, I would ask you all to begin reading Henry David Thoreau's "Walden, or Life In the Woods". I will be ordering copies soon enough, but I would ask you to jump right in. The text is available for FREE here, here, and here. You can even download an audio version, if you would prefer to listen to it on your music player. There are also copies available from the library, and I would be more than happy to help you track one down if you come and see me.

For the time being, I would like everyone to read the first chapter, called "Economy" for Friday, September 25th. That way we can meet in my classroom during study-period, and see how you are progressing. Please feel free to post questions or comments about your reading here on the blog, and remember to record any questions or observations you make along the way in your reading journal.

Although "Walden" was published well over a century ago, I think that you will find that Thoreau's words are more important now than ever.

On the writing front, I would like to see something from each of you for September 25th. I don't mind what it is, so long as you have written it recently, and I haven't already read it and commented on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment